A Look Back Through Time
High School Seniors graduating each year who reside in Germantown or from Germantown High School choose a variety of paths to achieve their goals and live their dreams. The Germantown Community Scholarship Fund (GCSF) exists to help graduating seniors achieve those goals and live those dreams. The GCSF awards scholarship money to those graduates who will continue their education at a college, university or a vocational/technical school.
The GCSF Endowment Fund was initiated in 1981 by a donation from the Germantown Rotary Club in the amount of $10,000. The first Dinner & Auction was held in 1986. This continues to be the most successful fundraiser for GCSF. A $200,000 donation in 1990 from the Germantown Volunteer Fire Company greatly increased the Endowment Fund. The remaining scholarships are funded by donations from businesses, service organizations and individuals.
Since 1981, the organization has awarded over $2,700,000 in scholarships to 2,547 students. Selection standards for graduates receiving awards at the Senior Scholarship Awards Night held each May were developed in cooperation with teachers and counselors. Application forms are made available by high school guidance offices in February and must be completed in March. Applicants are objectively rated based on the following criteria: academic excellence, in-school activities, teacher recommendations, out-of-school activities, employment and volunteerism.
GCSF is overseen and managed by a dedicated group of volunteers making up the Board of Directors. All of the members of the Board are area residents and/or employees interested in the success of our youth. GCSF does not employ paid staff members; it relies solely on the kindness and generosity of our community.
Significant Dates in Our History
- 1981 GCSF Becomes Incorporated
- 1982 First Scholarship Awarded
- 1986 First Auction Dinner held at Etzel’s Restaurant
- 1990 Germantown Volunteer Fire Company donates $200,000 to GCSF Trust Fund
- 1996 10th Anniversary Dinner Auction held at the Quilted Bear Restaurant
- 2002 One Millionth Dollar in Scholarships Awarded at the Senior Awards Night
- 2004 Teacher Grant Award program launched
- 2005 20th Auction Dinner held at Quilted Bear Restaurant
- 2006 25th Anniversary of GCSF’s Founding
- 2010 25th Silver Anniversary Dinner and Auction
- 2012 GCSF awards its 2000th scholarship at Senior Scholarship Awards Night
- 2013 GCSF awards its 2 millionth scholarship dollar
- 2015 30th Anniversary of the Dinner & Auction
- 2015 Inaugural U.S. Bank Mini Run for Funds